Monday, April 28, 2008

My Story - Part 21

Shortly after I moved in with Christie's family a woman named Melinda Lauffenburger started a women's group. She had different groups off and on for years. This one was to be modeled from the verses in Titus that talk about the older women teaching and admonishing the younger women. I think at one poit we even called it the P31 group. It was most often affectionately referred to as 'women's group.'

Melinda and her husband Dean were best friends with the Coopers. They lived in the same neighborhood in fact. They at one point had attended church together and often partnered together to love on those who were hurting...they still do.

Janny, Christie's mom was in the group along with some other precious ladies. There was no particular format. The things that were consistent about the group were: we met in Melinda's living room...there was always a time where someone played the piano and we worshiped together...there was always a time of intimate prayer...there were always tears and I love you's and hugs...there was always share time...there was always coffee and cookies too :)

It is hard to put into words what exactly this group was like. Melinda and the other 'older' (in their faith) ladies cared only about us younger, struggling ladies. They were there to serve, embrace and love us. They were full of wisdom...but the thing that overshadowed all else was the love that they poured into our lives in a gentle, humble way. They were full of encouragement for where God was taking us and yet would weep with us for where we were at. It would not fit into a nice little church bible study mold. (Not that nice little church bible studies aren't wonderful...they played a key role in my growth too!!!!!) It had a mold all its own created by Him. Some nights it might be one girl who was particularly needy and loving on her would be the focus for hours into the night. Many nights that girl was me. I found a place where I could be needy and I learned that God was not intimidated by my neediness. I may have Christie post her thoughts too. I can not explain to you the impact this group had on me. These women would be upset if they thought I were giving them any of the glory that should be God's. I know it was God thru them...but what a blessing that they were willing to be used in such a humble, serving way.

I was in this group for years and years...well into my married life. I nursed more than one baby on Melinda's couch thru tears while the worship was playing. Over the years God has always kept the group small and intimate and safe. Many woman have been nursed back to spiritual health thru this group. I have a better understanding of God's love having been a part of that community.

Had I not had that constant source of love and encouragement and gentle guidance...I am not sure where my unstable emotions would have led me. I have a deep love and admiration for Melinda, Janny, Cheryl, Lisa and the other ladies. They modeled for me how to love God and people with a genuine passion that is not boastful but humble and strong.

Next post I will share about meeting my precious husband!!!!

5 comments:

Chick4Christ said...

oh shanna! i love you so much! arent bible girls/women bible studies just so amazing! i sure do love them! i'm sad i have to miss it tonight though :(

Anonymous said...

this reminds me off what the well was for me - it was the same - older ladies - in the faith- ( not age wise) - helping me out in the beginning off my walk!! i loved that group and God used that group to grow me in my walk!!! you modeled what God had done for you into othersw lives - thanks!!!

DEEPLY LOVED said...

Glad you're back...I know...the well at Micah's brought so much healing to me too...such a sweet season for me on so many levels...I actually miss it:(

Robin Meadows said...

And see? You're patterning this in your life for those younger girls now! LOVE IT! LOVE YOU!

Can't wait for the next post!

Mimi said...

What a contrast between false teaching you first experience and authentic Christianity lived by these ladies. Loving, giving, serving.......isn't that Christ-like. How blessed we are to be able to live that way, by the power of His Spirit living through us. May those ladies' tribe increase!!