Saturday, May 31, 2008

Africa

Most of you know that I will be leaving for Sierra Leone, Africa on Tuesday and will be gone for 10 days. I can not even describe how real God has made the sufferings and the joys of these people I have never met become so real to me. He is doing something deep in my heart for all children all over the world, including the U.S. who have been or are being abused or neglected. I have been experiencing a range of emotions and anticipate shedding many tears of joy and sorrow while in Sierra Leone.

The children in the orphanage that we will be spending time with have lost their parents in the civil war that went on for years there. These children are christians now and lead others to Christ thru the witness of their forgiveness of their parents murderers and their joy!

These children usually eat only 2 meals a day and most meals are rice and sauce...sometimes they get meat or fruit. There will be many opportunities to help people financially. One way is to buy the children fruit in the market places and take to the orphanage. If we spend our money there it boosts their economy and helps the people in Sierra Leone provide for their families.

There are many who are blind or who are missing limbs due to the war or disease. To buy a prosthetic leg cost only $100. Not only does that money buy a leg but gives that man or woman the ability to work and provide for their families.

Many die from things that cost little money to fix medically. If we have money while we are there and we see a need we can meet it and in some situations even save a life.

I will be taking some of our personal money and mine and my husbands ministry (OASIS) will be giving some money also to send with me as well. I am praying now and will be praying as I am there for God to lead me in how to give this money towards the MANY needs I will come across.

It may be that we are able to buy fruit everyday for all the children in the orphanage...or feed a family that has no food...or buy a leg for a man that can not work because he is crippled...or buy medicine for someone who has been suffering for months because he can not afford a simple tylenol.

This is where I want to give you the chance to give in a way that will make a lasting difference. If you would like to send money with me I PROMISE to be faithful to let God lead me in how I distribute it. I will email when I get back and let you know all the ways your money made a difference. I am sure I will have many stories of God's faithfulness.

If you would like to send money with me to Sierra Leone please email me and my husband and I will come and get the money this weekend or Monday. You can make checks payable to OASIS ministries. This is our non-profit ministry and by giving thru our ministry you will receive tax credit at the end of the year.

Thank you in advance for praying and partnering with me.

I have not realized clearly the depth of suffering going on all over the world. I have HEARD with my ears but He is beginning to make me KNOW with my heart...really KNOW how much the suffering of children across the globe breaks His heart!

I love you all!

shannacrawford@hotmail.com

1 comment:

Roger Garrett said...

Hope you have a blessed journey