Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Righteous Anger


Can a holy and righteous God get pissed? Yes, I think He can, in a holy and righteous way. He is jealous for us. He doesn't want some of us, He wants all of us. I think He gets angry when anything threatens to keep Him from having intimacy with one of His children...whether it is an addiction, a system, a relationship or any other little god. I think He is a mighty Warrior who is fierce in His passion for us.

Some people who rent a house from my husband have little girls. My husband has fallen in love with them. He was in between jobs a few months last year and would often drop by just to see the girls and play with them. He would go get them and take them to church with us. They LOVED going to church and always asked when they could go again each time he'd come by.

These girls live in a very small space in not-so-great living conditions but they have joy! Their parents started avoiding us on Sundays so we wouldn't take them to church. One Sunday Jerome had enough. He got pissed. I got mad that he got mad. I rebuked him. God rebuked me. He was experiencing God's righteous anger. God was jealous for these little girls to know Him. He wasn't happy that their parents were keeping them from Him. His anger was just.

That Sunday Jerome cried through worship...through the sermon...on the way to lunch...and even sat in the parking lot while me and the boys went in the restaurant to order. Why was he weeping? Because the God of the universe cares so much about these little girls living in this little bitty house on the not-so-great side of town...that He would take the time to be pissed that they were being kept from having an opportunity to know and experience Him.

On the way home that day, Jerome spoke to me of the beauty of God.

The Lord is just in His anger, perfect in His love.

He is jealous for us and this is a perfect expression of His love.

I was reminded of this story. Tonight I was pissed at the thought that someone I love fiercely might be kept from from having an opportunity to know and experience the Lord more deeply. I am jealous for her to not just be a christian but to have a deep intimacy with Jesus. She has been through more than I can wrap my mind around. I want this for her as much as I want my next breath. I think Jesus does too.

Now I know how Jerome felt that day.

The reality is, no matter how intense my emotion...I don't know what will happen with those sweet, little girls who live on the not-so-great side of town. I don't know what will happen with the precious one that my heart aches for tonight.

Yes, a holy and righteous God can get pissed. He can also weep. I am created in His image. I'm in awe that He allows me to feel the smallest portion of what He feels. While I am imperfect in my emotions, He is perfect in His.

Psalm 103:8

The LORD is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love.

P.S. Do ya'll like my picture of the angry Wolverine guy? Sometimes I just have to laugh at myself...I know God does :)





No comments: