Saturday, December 5, 2009

Full Life

Last friday night I sat in a room full of the most beautiful women, inside and out. We worshipped, laughed, cried, prayed and encouraged each other. We shared the joys and sorrows of our journey with the Lord. It was a precious experience.

Many of these women are single and are hurting over broken relationships. I was thinking on the way home how easily, as women, we try and use broken cisterns to get water for our souls. We were created to only drink the Living Water that comes from the Well that never runs dry. It is easiest to turn to people or things to try and satisfy our souls, but for the Christ follower this is idolotry. It is a lie that leads us to being enslaved by gods that were never meant to control our lives. When we seek our fulfillment outside of Christ, we are left wounded, broken and hurting.

I am speaking from experience. Because I too have walked a mile or so on this road and I am familiar with the pain.

What I want to hold out is hope. There is another way. A better way.

Freedom is possible.

I came across this verse. It put truth to my desires for the women who were hurting friday night.

John 10:9-10 I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved.[a] He will come in and go out, and find pasture. 10The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.

Jesus came not only so that we could be saved. He came so that we may have life and have it to the full. His desire has always been for us to come to Him daily to be filled...not to a person or substance or object. He knows this is the only way to true freedom. He knows any thing else is a lie from the enemy seeking to kill, steal and destroy our lives.

While my heart breaks for the place that some of these women are at. I have an equal amount of excitement for where the Lord will take them if they will let hope take root in their hearts, take hold of His hand, and let Him lead them into the glorious land of freedom. The freedom to say no to that person or thing beckoning for their highest affections that should be reserved for the Lord alone, the Lover of their souls.

I can confidently say that freedom is possible. That joy will come. That you can have a full life in Christ.

It has happened in my life and is still happening every single day. I say this humbly and boldly.

Freedom is possible.

I remember how weak and miserable I was. I remember how enslaved I was to my emotions. I remember how crippling the pain was.

I am thankful for the intimacy that has been produced between the Lord and I as I have drawn near to Him in my hurt. I am fully aware that I still must do this today, 13 years later. If I try and draw water from a broken cistern I will be left empty. If I come to Him to fill my cup, it will be overflowing. Yes, I have a full life in Christ, and you can too...just trust Him in the midst of the pain. He came so that you may have life and have it to the full!

2 comments:

HOPE! said...

That verse ALWAYS reminds me of Benjamin! Love it! He is more than enough!

shanna said...

It reminds me of Benjamin too. When you are here for the holidays let's talk about when you want to travel to SL....I will go with you. Maybe April. I can travel with you and travel back alone. I can't wait to figure this out. The march trip is cancelled. We will get you there! I love you Hope!