Monday, January 11, 2010

Eternal Investments


I arrived home from Africa Saturday evening and assumed my first blog post of the new year would most definitely be about those precious ones I love so much in Sierra Leone.

However, I spent time at the hospital last night with the Bruss family and woke up throughout the night with them on my heart and mind. I am certain they are on the heart and mind of God. I am compelled to share with you what the Lord taught me through the few hours I spent with this godly family.

Some of Jerome and I’s best friends for years have been Brian and Angi bruss. (They are siblings). When I first met Jerome, he affectionately called Brian and Angi’s parents Mom and Dad and they joyfully accepted this strange addition to their sweet family 

Brian’s dad, Dwight went into the hospital December 23rd with severe headaches. Other than that he was healthy and happy. He went on to have 4 brain surgeries in 4 days. He is now in a coma.

Dwight and Ann have been married for over 30 years. They have sought the Lord with their whole hearts. They have rooted themselves in a local church. They have raised their children in the Lord. They have invested in the lives of others. They have faithfully cultivated godly friendships. They are now reaping a harvest of love and righteousness because they have not given up. They have fought the good fight and are finishing the race.

I was praying on the way to the hospital that the Lord would give me something to give this family…that I might offer them His love and encouragement. I left that place feeling as if God had called me there for me much more than for them.

I watched as this precious momma was given the support of her children. They discussed difficult issues with grace, respect and dignity. Her children offered counsel, love and laughter during a difficult time. They are rising to call her blessed. I couldn’t help but think that when Proverbs 31 was written, the Lord had Ann in mind.

Shortly after I arrived some of Dwight and Ann’s best friends for 27 years came to bring her dinner. They have faithfully been by her side the last few weeks. I heard of many answered prayers from pillows and tooth brushes being provided to signs of Dwights improvements when all hope seemed to be lost. This couple has been suffering and rejoicing with Ann as she has walked through this difficult time. She is not alone. She has a community of believers that are surrounding her with love and prayer.

Ann told me of how the Lord has been reminding her in many ways that He is with her…working in every detail…that she is to trust Him moment by moment not worrying about the ultimate outcome. She has the faith of those in Hebrews Chapter 11. Her faith is not based on whether God heals her husband on this earth. Instead, her faith is in who He is no matter what He chooses to do. The Lord may leave Dwight here for another 10 years or another week. She trusts Him either way.

As Ann is walking through this trial with her children and her friends her light and momentary afflictions are achieving for her a glory that far outweighs them all. He is being glorified and lifted up for every person connected to her life to see. I think she is too busy focusing on the Lord to realize just how much she is impacting the lives of others through her confidence in Him.

As I woke up throughout the night the Lord was speaking to my heart. I was at the hospital last night to observe many things so the Lord could teach me this:

My life is not my own. It was bought with a price. We have been appointed a certain of number of days on this earth. We are all appointed a time to die. Our lives are a mist and a vapor…even if we live to be 100 years old. I must make good use of my time on this earth. I must continue to invest in my relationship with the Lord and the lives of others. I must honor and serve my husband at all times. I must raise my children in the Lord and not grow weary in doing this. I must cultivate godly friendships. I have heard this message from the Lord with increasing importance over the last several years. I know last night He allowed me to see the fruit that will come when I obey Him in these things without giving up. Eventually the relational, eternal investments I make will reap a harvest of righteousness that has eternal value if I continue seeking Him with my whole heart.

It is easy to grow weary or become deceived when we are trying to serve God in a world that gives such spiritual opposition. Last night I saw the reward for being steadfast in the things He has called me to.

Thank you Ann for loving Jesus, Dwight, your children, your friends and me with an everlasting, eternal love. You are one of my heroes. Your life is a great encouragement to me and to many! May you know that He is perfecting His strength through your weakness. You are an oak of righteousness and a display of His splendor for the world to see!

No comments: