Tuesday, August 31, 2010

He Takes Great Delight in You!

I am sitting here loving the wind and the way it blows my weeping willow tree and makes me think of the goodness of God. I have loved sitting here this morning and just being still before Him, enjoying His Presence. I am so thankful for these morning times with Him, not having to be rushed, not having to worry about anything, just sitting still with Him.

I have been thinking about how much He loves to be with us. He gets pleasure when we spend time with Him. He loves and longs for our fellowship, our attention, our affection. We were created to be the object of His affection and Him to be the object of ours. This drives me to want to spend even more time with Him.

Yesterday I woke up, laid in my bed, read a few chapters of scripture and fell back asleep. When I woke back up, I rushed into my day, not stopping to really be with Him first. My day was off. I am not saying there is a formula, spend time with God first thing = great day! We will have days of intense anxiety or suffering or frustration no matter what. But what I am saying is that it is beneficial to turn our attention and affections towards Him at the beginning of our day so that as we go along from there we are more likely to have our focus on Him instead of our circumstances.

But the most motivating reason for me to seek Him first most days is this: The God of the universe has made me His child. He loves me. He delights in me. He receives joy and pleasure from the time I spend with Him. The One who gives me my very next breath, who doesn't NEED anything from me, loves to simply be with me and enjoys my fellowship.

Last night, our 5 year old came into our room after we put him night night. He asked a question, and then as he was walking back to bed I had a flash back to when our 10 year old was as little as him. I wanted time to stand still. I wanted the days to not pass so quickly. I wanted them to know at this young age they are important enough for me to spend time with them. Personal, intimate time where I am delighting in them and all that they are! When they are 20, 30 and 40 I pray I am still spending personal, intimate time with them, delighting in them and all that they are! If I am an imperfect parent and I desire this intimacy with my children, how much more does my perfect, heavenly Father desire this with me...and you!

If you are not already, I encourage you to carve out space at the beginning of your day to spend personal, intimate time with the One who loves you most! He takes great delight in you!

Zephaniah 3:17

The LORD your God is with you,
he is mighty to save.
He will take great delight in you,
he will quiet you with his love,
he will rejoice over you with singing."

1 comment:

Lisa Raley said...

Love this statement. Profound!

"The One who gives me my very next breath, who doesn't NEED anything from me, loves to simply be with me and enjoys my fellowship."