Sunday, February 17, 2008

My Earthly Rescuer


I wrote this poem about 6 years ago for Jerome. I framed it and gave it to him as a valentine's gift. I also read it VERY nervously to him in front of a small group of our friends.

We celebrate February 13th every year. It is the day we met 10 years ago. The day that changed everything. The second greatest day of my life. He is my greatest treasure on this earth!

This is still my heart and more towards him...

There once was girl who was broken and bruised,
she was shameful, dirty, lost and confused.
One night in her grief she fell to her knees,
and cried out to a God that her eyes could not see.
The faith in her heart told her He would hear,
salvation He granted in answer to her prayer.
He cleansed her, renewed her, brought peace to her mind,
then told her, "The weight of your sin is now Mine."
"The girl you once were is not who you'll be,
I'm taking your shame and making you free."
"To help me accomplish this work in you child,
I will give you a man who is undefiled."
"His heart toward Me is perfect and true,
passionate and strong is his love for you."
"Committment is driven deep in his heart,
no trial on earth can tear you apart."
"When you know his love, you will know Mine,
I will work thru him with longsuffering and time...
to bring about the healing you desire."
"This man I give you will help take you higher...
to the places that your heart longs to soar,
He's the kind of man that you've always longed for."
"He will be patient and he will be kind,
his motives unlike any you'd find."
"He will gently handle your heart with care,
when you're broken, he and Jesus will be there."
When your anger rages, not knowing why,
he will be there when your eyes finally cry."
When you're going thru things that you don't understand,
he will be eager to obey My command....
to always love you as Christ loves His church....
considering himself last and considering you first...
serving you humbly as though serving Me,
bearing your burdens, then casting them at my feet."
"When you rejoice at the new things you've found,
my joy is complete! his lips will resound."
"With My love in his heart he'll embrace you so tight,
with my strength, for your healing he'll relentlessly fight!"
"Please accept this man as a gift of My love,
serve him faithfully as though you were serving My Son."

He is still fighting for me and loving me to places of greater freedom all these years later! Oh how I love him!

13 comments:

deleise said...

That is beautiful, Shanna. Love it.

Aims said...

Love it! You guys are such an example of what only God can do!!

Jenn said...

Love the poem, and I love your heart!

Thank you for sharing Him with me through you.

Chick4Christ said...

Shanna! that is amazing!!! almost made me cry, i guess cause we have like the same story!!! haha.

well honestly i'm jealous, cause i wish i had the talent to write those amazing words! that was so sweet and to the point. exactly how i feel, i could just never word it right!

Anyways,
i love you bunches and will miss you tonight! sorry about this weekend, not getting to come over, i hope i'm not the boys enemy now. haha.

well love you! and see ya soon

Jenny-K said...

Wow Shanna! That is beautiful!

Seth, Annelise, Elijah, & Joshua said...

Beautiful poem Shanna! I love it! You were so brave to read it aloud and share on your blog!!!

Natalie Witcher said...

That is sooooo great!

DEEPLY LOVED said...

I just have to say...your husband is a lucky, LUCKY man to be married to you! That's all:) Love you!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Shanna. That poem is crazy beautiful. I can't imagine how Jerome felt when you read it to him. Thanks for sharing!

shanna said...

Thank you all for your encouragement!

Christi said...

It's wonderful to see 2 people so in love with each other and with their saviour!!

Unknown said...

AH-Mazing!!! Thanks for sharing this with us!

Anonymous said...

Shanna,
That was awesome...so deep! Your whole life is a beautiful song of God's awesome grace!