Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Perfect Parent


"You are quick to mark every simple effort to please You, and just as quick to overlook imperfections when I meant to do Your will." (A.W. Tozer)

I came across this 2 days ago during my morning Treasure Time. I was reminded of it this morning.

Each morning part of my prayer time is spent on me begging Him to teach me to love my boys on a deeper level...with more sacrifice...cultivating more intimacy. I feel so often I fail at this. I am desperate for my boys to have what I didn't have growing up...consistent love and affection from their parents so they might know His love. This drives me to a standard of perfection in this area...which often sets me up for failure.

This morning I had the girls in my teenage girls' bible study heavy on my heart. They come from all different types of families. A few of the girls aren't christians...most are. A common theme amongst them is a consistent strain in their family relationships. There are issues all the way from abandonment to slight rejection. At our girls' group on Monday night we shared our burdens and spent some time praying for each other as a group. A great deal of their burdens were their family relationships.

As my heart was aching for the girls this morning He shifted my thoughts to my own dad. My dad comes in and out of my life. When he is in my life it is for short periods...when he is out it is for years. I can honestly say that most days I do not feel the void. Jesus has become my everything, my perfect Parent and so He fills in those empty places...heals the wounds...and brings comfort when the pain does come. Thru this reminder I was filled with hope for the girls. Of course He desires for them to have intimacy with their earthly parents and I pray for this. Of course He desires for their family relationships to be healed and I yearn for this. BUT if this doesn't happen...He is capable of filling those empty places in their lives with Himself thru other ways...other people...other expressions of Himself.

Back to my boys. I want desperatley for them to know His eternal love thru my human love. This is my part. My simple effort is to pour His love into them the best I know how...trusting Jesus to fill the empty places that I miss. I mean to do His will by loving them with His love. I am thankful that He is quick to overlook my imperfections when I miss the mark. This has brought me a bit more hope and freedom today. I pray it has for you too!

12 comments:

Chick4Christ said...

Oh shanna, i love your heart! I know when God looks at you He cant help but smile! I love the passions you have and the love you cant contain! It stirs up so many feelings reading this, compassion, hurts, hopes, love etc.
I constantly feel what you feel.
I want to love everyone and cure all their problems!

I just love you shanna!

Natalie Witcher said...

We really can put so much pressure on ourselves. I'm glad you know that if you fail, Christ will be all to them as he is to you. I know I won't get it all right, but he will help me be more to my girls than I can ask or imagine. I'm so thankful for his grace and power to help me parent. Thanks for your words

Tim and Christie said...

Tim always tells me we are NOT going to do everything right. They will have something that they think we should have done differently, all they need is to know that we LOVE them and that Jesus loves them. I really for so long did not want to admit this could be true...still dont at times.

Ive always had such a hard time allowing myself any grace in this area. Yet again, the answer is to trust Him. Trust that His love covers a multitude of sins.

SheriYates said...

My neighbor's girls (all grown) all 4 are walking amazing walks in the Lord and I asked her how...she says "but God!" despite all her efforts, failures and wins...But God!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Shanna! Your words always minister to me. On a side note ~ Joshua, my 3 1/2 year old saw these pictures and said "that's Jesus." He has been asking so many questions about Him lately ~ I love it. Anyway, he loved the picture of Jesus and the "kids." And, last night when Matthew was tucking Joshua in, Joshua told him that he wanted to get in that picture. I hope he always wants to be in Christ's picture.

Amy Newberry said...

Shanna this really touched me today. This afternoon Jonathan noticed that the "baby" was still here. It was hard and there were moments when I doubted that what we were doing was "right" then I read this. It really spoke to me and gave me the freedom to parent with love.

Anonymous said...

i am still learing this. it is hard for me. god as my daddy?- HE is gently showing me. also i was reading 1 samuel yesterday and came across Hannah's prayer and it was so beautiful- and for some reason i hought of you( maybe b/c u love babies so)... also i know you love worship check out rick pino... on i tunes the cd is called Angel of awakening... it is so good!!!!- he has a line that say " when i am with my daddy my innocences is restored" just beautiful

Unknown said...

Beautifully written, Shanna! Thanks for this. Your heart is contagious. I too desire this for my girls.
Great to see you yesterday. Day One of chapter one knocked me off my feet in total worship before God this morning!!!! Praise and glory to HIM!!!

deleise said...

I'm always learning from you! Thank you for the inspiration, once again.

Robin Meadows said...

I know Dirk and I left plenty of gaps and holes in our teaching, but I don't doubt that our grown children know that we love them and we love Jesus. Besides that, I'm not sure much else matters.

You're doing an AWESOME job of showing that love to your children, Shanna.

Thanks for sharing your Treasures with us!

Natalie Witcher said...

Hey Shanna! Thanks for posting. I do homeschool...whoo hoo

Christi said...

Shanna- just got around to reading this today...not sure how it slipped by me. I too struggle with the responsibility of parenting. As Christie G said above, we are focusing on ONE thing- for our boys to know we love them and God loves them. That can help them make it through life and being all they were meant for:)We are all on this journey together- so glad I have friends to share it with.