Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Mission Trip - Day 2






















The 2nd day we did our first medical clinic. We set up the clinic in a church near the orphanage. There is a school on the top story that basically had a floor and a roof and no walls. I loved being able to watch the children sit attentively at their desks while the teacher taught from a chalk board. The children in Sierra Leone have to pay to go to school. Every child in the orphanage has their education paid for. If you attend school then you learn to speak, read and write in English...If not then the primary language is Krio. We had interpreters during the clinic because many of the Africans did not speak English.

We saw over 120 people during the clinic and all of them were very sick. The pastors took 3 car loads of adults and children to the hospital and several lives were saved as a result. The medical clinic was a spring board to offer prayer and share Christ with each person. Amy and I were part of the prayer team and saw many accept Christ of whom most claimed the muslim faith.
I became more and more amazed by Pastor Hasan. He is quiet and exudes humility. He served without drawing attention to himself. I could clearly see that the things that are most important to him are the things that are the most important to the heart of God.
I met and talked with Solomon for the first time. He was one of the interpreters. I found out that he was the first to leave the orphanage and go to college. He was on a break from school and served along side us. I quickly developed a heart for him.
An observation I wrote in my journal was the contrast between those in the orphanage and those just outside in the surrounding village. The kids and workers in the orphanage were healthy and full of joy. Those outside the orphanage looked tired and worn in their faces. I could clearly see why the Lord had saved this remnant of children to reach out to their community and offer the hope found in Christ. Because of the poverty and the after shock of the war there is a heavy feeling. I know that God is using all those in the orphanage to be a light in a dark place.

I loved touching and embracing all of the beautiful children inside and outside of the village. I see now more than ever why Jesus asks us to come to Him with the faith of a child.
One of my best friends, Amy Newberry went on the trip as well. She is also blogging about our experiences in Sierra Leone. You can visit her blog at http://www.amynewberry.blogspot.com/














4 comments:

HomeSchool Mommy said...

It's amazing how much we take for granted here, isn't it? I mean, we don't go a day with the common cold without using something(s) to help us feel better. What a blessing that you guys were able to take so many to get the treatment they needed!

Kelsey said...

I am so happy that you had this experience!

Unknown said...

Sounds amazing!

Amy Newberry said...

I can't even begin to describe to you how bad I miss it. I think about those sweet babies a thousand times everyday.