Sunday, June 29, 2008

Mission Trip - Rewind



















OOPS! I forgot something. At the end of day 2 we had a surprise for some of the kids. We had given some money to the ladies that help at the orphanage to go into town and buy the kids some clothes and shoes.
At the end of the day after the medical clinic we lined up the clothes and shoes according to gender and size and the children all sat quietly and waited. When it was their turn they got to choose an outfit or a pair of shoes. It was the best thing in the world to see their faces and watch them try on the clothes to see if they fit. We even saw the girls giving their outfits to other girls that liked what they picked and getting a different one for themselves. This one of the many ways they would put each other first and show preference to one another.

Another example of this is when I offered Benjamin a granola bar. There was a handful of other boys nearby and he immediately started breaking off pieces of the bar and passing it out to the boys. He saved the last piece for himself. I was amazed at their genuine servant hood to one another...the kind that flows from Love and not obligation.
I began praying and asking the Lord to do this in my own heart and the hearts of my boys. I also asked Him to do this among believers here in America. It was beautiful to see such an accurate picture of what the body of Christ is intended to be like.
We also gave the ladies who served us while we were there money to buy themselves each a new dress. It felt so wonderful to offer them a small token of our love and appreciation of their sacrifice.
Tomorrow I will post about day 4.

3 comments:

HomeSchool Mommy said...

My heart breaks more and more each time I read yours and Amy's posts. I cannot wait to be there...to experience what you did. I, too, have been praying for true, total, and complete servant heart in us. It's amazing you were able to see it in true form.

Robin Meadows said...

What a wonderful story! Things we simply take for granted...

Anonymous said...

I just, like today,confirmed that I will be going on the trip to Africa, nov 9th.
It is a long story of how and why. I just wanted to say hi. If you are available I would love to talk with you either by phone or in person. Whenever and however is convenient for you.
Your blog and passion for Africa had an influence on my decision to go. Please call or e-mail me!
Deziray Click 408-3878