Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Mission Trip - Day 3

At this point I was thinking of the children constantly. I would lay in bed and think about them, praying for them as I drifted off to sleep. I would wake up thinking about them FULL of excitement to go see them and be with them.





This was one of my favorite days! We rented vans and took all of the kids to the beach. They only get to go when missionaries come so it is a big treat for them. When we first started walking onto the beach with all of these beautiful African children walking in front of us I felt like I was in paradise. I loved watching them play in the sand, laughing and enjoying each other and God's beautiful creation.





I noticed that Emmanuel was sitting on the beach alone and sad. I sat beside him and asked him what was wrong. He wouldn't tell me. I thought maybe the beach triggered memories of his family. Benjamin came over and tried encouraging him but he remained sad. I asked him to walk down the beach with me. I told him that when he is sad it is OK to talk to someone he trusts, someone who he knows will pray for him. He still wouldn't tell me what was wrong, so I started telling him how much God loved him and how God wanted him to enjoy the beauty of the beach and the fellowship of his friends. Benjamin and I prayed with him and he cried. We walked back and he was still sad so I tickled him and he cheered up. Me, Jeannie, Amy, Benjamin and Emmanuel walked and laughed together down the beach looking for sea shells. You have no idea how close I hold these memories to my heart and ponder them regularly. What a gift He gave me to be with these children...to love them and be loved by them. I don't have words to describe how in that moment Benjamin and Emmanuel became my sons in my heart. God spiritually connected us and I love them deeply.




















We had lobster on the beach. This was just way too cool!

The older boys raced Wade. It was so precious to watch them interact with the men on the mission team. Our boys played a game of soccer against some UN soldiers and won! We stood on the sidelines cheering them on. Again, I felt as if I were cheering my own kids on at a soccer game here in America. I was so proud of them when they won!
It was a perfect day. My heart was so full of love it could have exploded. I was in love with Jesus more than I ever knew I could be. I was also as in love with these children as much I am my boys here at home. This was all a great mystery to me and I was embracing every minute of it! I felt as if I were living and moving in Him every moment. I felt like Moses when He went up on the mountain to meet with God face to face...and I did NOT want to come down!!!

5 comments:

HomeSchool Mommy said...

This is so cool!

Kelsey said...

Wow, Shanna! What a special gift God gave you in this mission trip.
Love you!

Natalie Witcher said...

Oh those pics are gorgeous!! I'm so glad you had such a great time. off to check out Amy's post!

deleise said...

Hey, how did you end up with a lobster and Amy ended up with the "everything burger?" You must have behaved better.

Theresa said...

What an amazing experience! The children are beautiful!