Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Dear Lord,

I keep a journal that is mainly letters written to God, with scriptures scribbled throughout. I thought I would share what I wrote this morning during my Treasure Time.

Lord,

How fitting to start a new journal on this day. You are reminding me that your mercies are new every morning and your compassions never fail. Lord, yesterday morning I asked you to take me deeper still...to strip me from anything that was keeping me from loving more deeply. I asked for the ability to love stronger, deeper than ever before. By the afternoon you had begun answering that prayer.

Lord, my human love is simply not enough. In fact, it gets in the way. Lord, you do not wish to strip me of relationships, but to strip me of my own human love that I'm investing in them. Only your super-natural, unfailing love will do. This requires all of my attention, devotion and affection to be focused on you and you alone. When I abandon myself to you in this way, it is then that you love people deeply though me.

How easy I allow my heart and emotions to deceive me into thinking I can make any sort of eternal difference with my own, weak, human love. Lord, you are full of grace and mercy. You understand that I am dust. You understand that I am weak. Yet, you do not stand by waiting to condemn me when I fail. Instead you patiently wait for me to look to you and ask you to perfect your strength through my weakness. You delight in every simple effort to please you. You somehow take my child-like stumblings and with the loving kindness of a perfect parent, pick me up and set me on the right path. It is your kindness that led me to repentance all those years ago and still does even now.

Lord, you can have all of me. This is what you desire most...my whole life, all of my attention, affection and devotion. It is then that you love others through me most effectively. Lord, I am more in awe of your grace, more in love with you, more abandoned to you today than I was yesterday. Even this is only by your grace. You alone are my heart's desire.

I love you!
Your daughter

3 comments:

My name is Melissa, but you can call me Missy said...

Oh wow~! What a profound new perspective~!

Prodigal said...

He has known we would be obstinate, weak and unable from the beginning. Yet his heart for us can still be found in Isaiah 30:18.

shanna said...

I needed to read those verses. I will never figure out how He loves us the way He does!