Thursday, January 3, 2008

I love Him!

Tonight we had dinner with some of our long time mentors. This couple is the parents of one of my best friends. They took me in a year after I was saved and months after I was off drugs.
They were deeply committed to me. They loved me, shared Christ with me and counselled me thru some of the most tumultuous times of my walk. When I met Jerome they gave us pre-marriage counselling. Once we got married they gave us weekly counselling for 8 months...and we needed it! I was a MESS but I loved Jesus and I loved people so Jerome kept me :) Jerome was hanging on for dear life wondering what in the heck he got himself into.

The purpose of the dinner was to thank them again all these years later. They saw something in me...in us. They saw past the emotional wreck that I was. They saw His plan for me.

They modeled something for us that we went on to copy. We have had several people live with us. We typically are reaching out to the overlooked and cheering for the underdog.

Over dinner we were sharing with them some of the stories of changed lives we have seen thru OASIS. We were all laughing and rejoicing together. In a strange way even though they had never met the people we spoke of....it was like we were all connected thru the Spirit.

Jerome starting sharing how much it meant to him that John encouraged him thru that time. How it helped him hold on thru the storm. He was saying such wonderful things about who I am today and commending them for their part. He was recognizing their sacrifice and commitment. He started to tear up. (Pause, worship and me having babies are about the only two things that make him cry). So of course I teared up too waiting for him to cry. He didn't cry though.

When we got home we were rehearsing the night...how wonderful it was to be with John and Janny again...to all rejoice and laugh and reminisce....together. Jerome asked me if I noticed him start to cry at dinner. He said the reason he didn't was because it wasn't efficient. He said he would have lost his train of thought and then no one would've understood him because he was crying. He CRACKS me up!

OK...so he JUST NOW...while he is playing HALO...a game where you shoot people with guns....said "OH MY GOSH, moo-moos are on the floor." Moo-moos are our 5 year old's sleeping animals that he has had since birth. They stay here on Thursdays when Silas spends the night at Aunt Nina's so they don't get misplaced. We have a new puppy...so the OH MY GOSH was that they needed to be put up so Yoda didn't get them. Then he says he would rather one of our cars get stolen than to have moo-moos get ruined.

I love that he is a strong warrior and yet cares about moo-moos and cries at dinner...well almost cries...he would have if it would have been more efficient :)

OK...all this has no flow and makes no sense but that is the joy of blogging! Happy Reading!!!!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love that he said it would not be "efficient" - sounds like Mike sometimes... husbands are so great and i am glad we have Jesus to keep us together (as friend and married couples)...and that we have those mentors to guide us to where we need to be... i love it!!

Anonymous said...

We really do need to get together and visit. I've heard your story through others and we need a face to face!

HomeSchool Mommy said...

I love that you are singing his praises so much!

Christie Man said...

I love that!!! They told me the other day that they were looking forward to a dinner with the both of you Thursday. What a special, fruitful, endearing relationship that has blossomed between the four of you. I am SOO humbled to have been able to sit on the sidelines watching and learning and growing from...ALL OF IT.
I love you! You ARE my sister. I have adopted you too, ya know. They have told me many times that you are a daughter to them so that means whether you like it or not...you're my sista!!! :) Personally, I think you got the better end of the deal but who's comparing!?! HEE HEE HEE HEE

Robin Meadows said...

No...it DOES flow! It OVERflows with love!!

I'm with Cindy---let's get together sometime!

You name the time and place--I'll be there.

BraggFam said...

No sense. In my world you made perfect sense. Are you having a Christi moment. That really touched my heart today by the way and thank you for all the sweet comments, it has been hard to be here, but made easier knowing I am still loved and missed. Miss oyu

Mimi said...

Thank you for the way you so openly share your heart with others. It is such a blessing to me. It is amazing that God can use any of us for His glory!! It is such a privilege to be in the train of transmitted Truth.

shanna said...

Misti...oh how we need those mentors. Ther is safety in a multitude of counselors.

Cindy...I agree! Let's do it!

HomeschoolMommy...I love to brag on him...I recognize that he is a precious gift from the Lord that I do not deserve on my very best day!

Christie...You are defintely my sister. You played as big a part in what has been done in me as them. I love that He has knit us together as family. I love that you had a heart for me then and now. I love how deeply you love the DEEPLY wounded...it takes a special gift to do this...I love you!

Robin...OK!!! I will email you!

Christi...oh how we all miss you!

Carolyn...I love this:
It is such a privilege to be in the train of transmitted Truth.

Yes, he can change anyone...He truly uses the weak to lead the strong and uses the lowly to confound the wise. Thank you for teaching the Word...you too have become a mentor. I am drawn to women with a heart for His word...the more I can learn...the more I can grow...the more I can love Him and others. I will sit under the table and eat the scraps if I have too :)

SheriYates said...

I love your family just from peeking in!

MJ said...

Hey Sweet Girl! LOL I love Jayrome! He cracks me up!

I am too, grateful, for this amazing mentor couple. They helped mold you into the loving caring person you are today...and in my world-you are my guardian angel. I love you soooo much! Thank you for always showing me grace and love when I sooooo didn't deserve it! You always amaze me! Can't wait to get back to our accountabilty! My how I have missed you!
See you this week!

shanna said...

Sheri...aww, what a compliment.

Micah J...I can't wait to get back to our accountability too...I miss you and hearing all that is going on in that precious heart of yours. I love you!