Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Law vs. Grace



Jerome had one of his "Daddy Date Nights" with the boys last night while I had my girls group. EVERY single time he takes the boys to McDonald's he gets in the big play thing with them. Last night he said he was shocked to hear a very angry voice saying, "Sir, you come down from there right now!" He thought something bad had happened. So he slides down the slide with Asher in his lap to find out what is the matter.

(OK...I am laughing while typing this....Jerome is 37 years old sliding down the slide at McDonald's to an angry worker.)

The lady points to the big toy thing and proceeds to tell him how unsafe it is...how much trouble she could get in for letting him be in there. This is his response...exactly, "Lady, I have played in McDonald's playlands from the east coast to the west coast and have never been kicked out of one."

(I am cracking up out loud right now.)

She then asks if he would like her to call her manager. He says, "Sure."

(I love that he is determined to get to play in the playland with the boys. This is a serious issue for him.)

She leaves a message for her manager. While they wait she points to the rules and continues telling him how bad his offense is. He looks at the rules and number 2 says that you may enter to supervise your children. He reads it to her. Flustered, she goes out of the play area and stands at the window to watch him while she waits for a call back from her manager. A few minutes later she comes in and tells him her manager said he could go ahead and PLAY this one time. So with great joy he went back up into the big play thing with the boys.

I was laughing hysterically when he was telling me this. I told him I HAD to blog about it. I asked if we could tie some spiritual principal to it. He quickly likened the experience to law vs. grace. He said that he was walking in grace and there was joy and freedom. The rules clearly said you could enter the big play thing to supervise your children. He was not sinning. He was enjoying his relationship with his boys. The McDonald's employee had misinterpreted the rules. She added her own rule because she didn't think the rule provided enough safety.

An example is drinking. The bible is clear that drinking is NOT a sin. In fact some places in scripture encourage it. Scripture clearly teaches getting drunk IS a sin. (If you can not drink without getting drunk it is wise to not drink AT ALL.) A lot of Christians will say as emphatically as the McDonald's lady...you can NOT drink if you are a christian. Then you go to scripture and see something different. I think most who believe you can not drink at all teach it to others out of a desire to see them kept safe. It is scary to let God lead each individual (in areas that are not sin)...trusting God to keep them safe. The beauty of us having a relationship with God is letting Him lead us thru His grace to places of joy and freedom.

Let me clarify something. We have people that are a part of The Fixx that God has led to a place of NO DRINKING. We rejoice with them. For them this is where they have freedom. They can NOT drink and have freedom. Drinking leads them to bondage. GOD and NOT THE LAW has led them to a "no drinking" place.

Jerome and I did not drink for years. God led us. At a certain point we felt released by Him from that. (Probably because He had healed the things on the inside that led us to get drunk.) We had the freedom to NOT drink for years...because God led us. For years now we have had the freedom TO drink...because God has led us.

Thanks for hangin' in there with me while I (tried to) tie this all in.

15 comments:

Tim and Christie said...

Just when you think you can't love the Crawfords any more!

I vote for a reinactment caught on tape. YouTube NEEDS this!! I would offer to hold the camera, but I know I couldn't do it with out peeing my pants!

Love you and all those boys of yours...big and small!

Anonymous said...

that is too funny... i cant wait to have babies of my own. and as far as drinking in am one of theones that KNOWS i cant drink- i tried it once after i had been sober for a year or so and whoa baby i was drunk about 30 mins and 4 glasses of wine later. if i have one i have 20 - so God keeps me sober so i can be free- and i have no problem with people drinking as long as it is not their reason for living. i love that Jesus has set me free from this addiction(and many others)!!!

Christi said...

I am also in the "no drinking" group for more reasons that one. It's a HUGE conviction for me and I have never been a drinker so go figure:)

I do love the fact that God gives us all different convictions. Our walks truly are personal. Just like Jerome can play in the playplace and rest in his relationship with the boys. Although, I don't think you will be in a playplace anytime soon, you still have an equally personal relationship with your boys. (trying to compare our relationships with Christ here)

The freedom comes from having a "safe place" in the relationship:)

Anonymous said...

I think drinking beer is the fruit that took Adam and Eve down. The "poision of the soul"(not poision the rock group, they rock!! That "Steel Cowboy" song rocks)

shanna said...

I think the fruit could have been ANYTHING...even just a plan ole' apple and they still would have taken it...they had a sin nature like us and were enticed by the idea of eating it and being like God...even the law of "you can't eat it" was enough to rouse their sin nature to want to eat it and disobey God.

Maybe the apple was really rock music, maybe that is the "poison of the soul" or maybe it is just are darn sin nature! :)

shanna said...

Christie...we so need it on video!

Misti...I am soooo proud of you. You know Titus has been sober for over a year and Brandon close to a year. They are 2 of the primary leaders at The Fixx. I LOVE the freedom you 3 have to not drink. I agrree, drinking should not be the reason for anyone living...especially a christian. Isn't Jesus the best addiction EVER!? You glorify Christ in MANY ways. Keep chasing after Him precious friend!

Christi...I respect your conviction to not drink. I respect you in many ways! You are a godly woman who loves God and people! And no you won't catch me in the big play thingy...you will catch me reading and snuggling with the boys. Great comparison! Jerome said last week after group how he admired Brandon's humility. I love that in the body we can be so different as far as gifts and convictions and yet be so close thru His Spirit!

Christi said...

Thanks Shanna:) Pretty sure I brag on you all the time to others as well. I look up to you in too many ways to name!

Anonymous said...

Shanna,

You drinker you :) Glad you dared to address this in your blog. Good stuff!

Can't wait til tomorrow!

Unknown said...

You pulled the two together beautifully. Well written, dear friend! I love that God "gets" us so individually!
It makes me think about how Nick and I were called to not kiss each other until our wedding day. This clearly is not for everyone. And prior to meeting each other we didn't hold such rules. But, God gave that to us because he "gets" us and knew that this was what we needed.
Thanks for sharing!

Seth, Annelise, Elijah, & Joshua said...

Sooo funny, Jerome up there playing with the boys and then getting into "trouble". We so need that one on YouTube!

Cammie said...

This is a great post! I have to laugh at the thoght of a grown man defending his right to pla on the playscape!

deleise said...

Love it Shanna! David is the same way. You gotta fight for your right to act like a child, right?!!! Love your tie-in.

jimmy paravane said...

hmm...is your husband related to Anna Meadows, or is this just an alien thing...(grin)

http://annameadows.com/?p=65

Anonymous said...

i just wanted to let yoy know that Mike thinks it is so funny when your hubby crackes himself up. He even has and impression of Jerome laughing when he cracks himself up. that was one of the favorite parts of oasis for mike when jerome would laugh at his own jokes...

shanna said...

Cindy...I know, I am a lush :)

Rachel...exactly! Jerome and I kissed when he asked me to marry him...one other time and then waited until our wedding day. I love that he led us in that direction.

Donna & Cammie...He is a big kid!

Deleise...isn't so great to have husbands that love to play like ours :)

Jimmy...no, but I hear we are a lot alike :)

Misti...I love that man! I HAVE to hear Mike's impression!!!