Sunday, January 20, 2008

My Lord is The Treasure


I fell in love with a worship song by Desperation Band while on a mission trip in NYC last September. I had such a surreal time while I was there.

There is something incredible about being on a mission trip. My favorite part is that all of your every day life distractions are removed. All you have to focus on from the time you get up until the time you go to bed is loving God by loving people....serving God by serving others.
We are called to do this in our every day life too...it is just harder.

Mission trips for me are like a spiritual vacation. I come home feeling so close to Him I could float away!!! I LOVE this feeling. I come home with stones of remembrance to help me not forget my experience. The Treasure song is one of those stones to help me remember my last NYC mission trip.

As I have been getting up every morning the last several weeks to spend time with Him...I have been blown away. These times have been so precious! They have been simply romantic! They are just too wonderful to call "quiet times". I asked the Lord to give me a special name for our mornings together.
I had been praying about it for several days. He finally showed me while listening to the Treasure song that they should be called my "Treasure Times". The lyrics do all the explaining:

Your breath is like rain
Your word it sustains me
I've come to this place
With intentions of finding You
Your truth is a lamp
Your wisdom my light
I'm seeking Your face
With intentions of finding You
I would run for a thousand years
If I knew every step would be getting me closer
I'd swim to the ocean floor
For my Lord is the treasure
My Lord is the treasure
Holy holy
Holy is the Lord

My mornings have become a time where I wake up and make my first priority to seek Him out...thru His word...thru prayer...thru worship...and I find Him...every morning...He never eludes me!

In the worship part of my "Treasure Time" I have been listening to this song. My heart connects so much with the lyrics. Every time it gets to the words in bold print I just cry.

He really is the Treasure...so why do I chase after things that don't matter...that don't satisfy???

May more of my heart be drawn to Him. The Lord is my Treasure!

11 comments:

Stef Swindell said...

LOVE it Shanna!!!
I am struggling with my "quiet time" with him. There are many valid reasons why and many selfish reasons. Nonetheless, I need it. So now that I am back online, I plan to spend each morning listening to worship, blogging, and reading youversion to have some time in His word. I pray this helps me and that He meets me when I come :)

shanna said...

I am praying for you Stef as you move toward this. Don't let guilt bog you down if you aren't able to be consistent. Making it a law takes the joy out of it. You have a baby and aren't sleeping well. Maybe on the mornings you need extra sleep you can slip it in the afternoon somewhere. Whenever and however...let it be a joy and not a duty :) Love you and am super duper happy you are back online!

Anonymous said...

It is such a treasure to be married to such a Godly woman.

shanna said...

Well...I was a treasure buried underneath layers of junk. Thank you for choosing to take the time and effort to let God help you dig beneath the surface. Thank you for recognizing His beauty in me long before I did! Thank you for loving me to a place of freedom. Thank you for letting God use you to help mold me into the godly woman I am today. You are my earthly hero and I am more in love with you today than I was 9 years ago! I never could have imagined we would have such an amazing life together in Him. You know what I love most about you...that you are more passionately in love with Him than me :) Oh...and a close second would be that you like like a New York runway model ;)

Seth, Annelise, Elijah, & Joshua said...

Love it shanna, I am speechless!

SheriYates said...

the words of that song ring in my heart - wow! your heart amazes me shanna! our God is limitless - boundless - deeper and wider than our minds can ever comprehend.

shanna said...

Donna and Sherry...love you girls!

DEEPLY LOVED said...

I think that song marked the trip...every time I listen to it I think back to our mornings of worship...Oh, how I miss NYC's people!!!!

shanna said...

Ejvis...me too!

Aims said...

Just reading this makes it seem like we were just there. I loved our mornings of worship. I loved getting to experience HIM in NYC with you!! Love you my friend!!

Christina said...

Wow! So glad to stumble on your page. I'm looking for the name to that song so I can grab it from itunes.

Once when I was singing this song in worship at chruch. I was struggling big time.. lots of family stuff.. a very hard season.
While I was singing it with all my heart:
after singing though the chorus many times we got to the bottom line and I felt like the Lord was sang to me- For Christina's my treasure, Christina's my treasure.

Woah it rocked me. The Lord was saying that He not only painted the sky's for me to see but that I was His treasure and He'd run for a thousand miles if he knew every step would be getting Him closer and he'd swim to the ocean floor because Christina is His treasure. I felt soo soo loved.

For my Lord is the treasure
My Lord is the treasure