Saturday, January 5, 2008

Simple Truths

There is a line in a Starfield song that says: I thought age would tell the secrets...but the secrets are still secret and the years are passing by...

I asked Jerome what he thought this meant. He said that most of us think that age brings wisdom.


He talked about those first years he was saved...how on fire he was. He thought things like: I will end up memorizing the whole bible at the rate I am going...I will get to the place where I understand everything in the scriptures...Eventually I will be a spiritual super giant!

What ends up happening is that we acutally have Jesus leading us back to the same simple truths over and over and over. We have to revisit lessons in things like: Love God and others deeply...forgive every time...humble yourself often...bless your enemies...seek God first...endure hardships well...trust Jesus always...reach out to others...encourage one another...put others first...


And of course all these later things are summed up in the first...to love God and others deeply. I am so happy He makes it simple. Not easy...but simple.

After years of seeking Him we come to realize that some things will always remain a mystery this side of eternity. He is more than enough. All we need is Him alone!

(I really connect with the lyrics of this song...I never tire of hearing it. You can read the lyrics
here if you want to.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, Shanna, the older I get the more I realize the less I know. Good post!

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I absolutely LOVE Starfield!

deleise said...

You are so right! I love your observation that it is "not easy...but simple". Those two words seem synonymous, but in this context they are anything but.

SheriYates said...

awesome! that is the same revelation we came to - the more I know, the less I know, but the more simple it seems - LOVE! My 7 year old said, "the 10 commandments wouldn't be necessary if we just LOVED each other."
WOW - if we can just get it! However, we have to be FILLED with the source of love before we can love others - I think that's why it's God 1st, others second..you guys amaze me - you have real faith! for sure.

WOW - wow - is all I have to say about you guys.. how can our family support you guys??!

Seth, Annelise, Elijah, & Joshua said...

Love the new look on your blog. I agree...."simple but not easy". Love the song.

shanna said...

Cindy...me too, and for some reason I am OK with that :) I think Starfield has the best lyrics...which is what always draws me in worship songs.

Deleise...kind of like a paradox...it seems so much about the Christian faith is a paradox...thanks again for making my blog so pretty :)

Sheri...I agree, we must seek Him continualy so that we are not loving with our wn human, conditional love...but He is loving thru us with his supernatural, uncondtional love. Thank you for recognizing Him in us!!!!

Donna...aren't the lyrics wonderful?

Robin Meadows said...

Simple....I'm good with that. And you bring up an interesting point. Why do we ever think we need more than the simple lessons--love others, forgive, etc.

A few years ago I came to the point where I admitted I didn't know anything...but that God loved me. I like staying in that place...it's good.

Unknown said...

I agree with He makes it simple. Not easy...but simple. Thanks so much for sharing this. It is such a great reminder!

Jenny-K said...

I need to listen to that song. I am very inspired at the way you see things and listen to God and His will for you. Thank you for sharing.

shanna said...

Robin...I love this:

A few years ago I came to the point where I admitted I didn't know anything...but that God loved me. I like staying in that place...it's good.

Rachel...don't you love Him!

Jenny...I can burn the CD for you.

Anonymous said...

i am soooooo glad He made it simple because as my husband can tell you after a certain point and it doesnt take long - if it is complex i am LOST!! - so simple is very good... and it breaks my heart that sometimes people make it way tooooo hard!!!