Sunday, March 2, 2008

My Story - Part 8

Today's post is long since I didn't post Friday on my computer fast day...or Saturday. Consider it 2 posts in one :)

I didn't stay in my apartment long. I broke my lease. This really made Kenny mad. It affected my mom's credit. He did not want her having any communication with me. My mom and I went a year without talking. I was so self focused at this point that it didn't bother me that much.

I had made Arthur, the 21 year old guy who was my boyfriend my god. I had never had a dad that was consistently involved and so you can imagine how needy I was. He had an ex-girlfriend and they had a baby together so there was always lots of drama. She hated me and would threaten me and attack me physically when she would see me out. (She eventually became a christian and asked for my forgiveness a few years ago...God is so good). We would go to clubs and drink together. We would cheat on each other. It was so dysfunctional. I was addicted to the dysfunction of it...the fighting and the making up. I wanted so badly to get what I needed from this relationship. It just left me feeling more empty. When we would break up I would literally feel like I was going to die. I once TRIED to commit suicide by taking a bottle of Tylenol and had to go to the ER to get my stomach pumped. I remember them having to call my mom because I was a minor. She didn't come to the hospital.

I also tried to get what I needed from friendships. I never wanted to be alone very long. I was constantly with someone so I wouldn't get bored and have to face the emptiness on the inside.

I reconnected with my dad and asked him to co-sign for me an apartment...and a few months after a car. He did. Me and Arthur lived in the apartment. I tried working at some telemarketing companies. We eventually broke up for good and I was on my own.

I finally got a job at a car dealership and worked my way all the way up to receptionist :) I could not pay my bills. I moved in with my mammaw's husband's ex- step daughter. (Whew...that was a lot). She was 5 years older than me and VERY sweet. I think she felt sorry for me.

I was more promiscuous than ever. I wanted so badly to have someone love me. I was using sex to get love but instead I was just building a reputation amongst the guys that went to the clubs I hung out at. I had the same problem I did in high school. No one wanted to actually be my boyfriend. Why did they have to when I would just sleep with them. I was going out constantly...drinking several nights a week. I was always getting in fights with my friends and living in constant chaos.

My sweet roommate finally couldn't handle my chaotic lifestyle anymore and moved out.

I had just turned 18 and was struggling to pay my bills. I was so ashamed of myself for sleeping around so much. I had no relationship with anyone in my family except my mammaw who was in Texas. My life was out of control. I remember being in my room one night...alone...which didn't happen much. I remember thinking I needed to start going to church and to give my life over to God. I weighed it out in my mind and decided against it. I decided that I wasn't ready to give up going out, drinking, guys. It was too overwhelming for me to stop doing those things...they were my comfort...my dysfunctional community...my crutch. I decided instead to try to manage my own life.

(This is when my decent into the pit accelerated like never before. I know now that God was pulling back His hand to a certain extent to let me indulge in my flesh so that I would quickly come to the end of myself and come to Him....it worked!).

I just needed more money...then I would be OK. Since the only thing of worth I thought I had was my sexuality I decided to use it to make money. After all...this is the only thing men ever wanted from me from a little girl on...I might as well get paid for it.

Shortly after my 18th birthday I went to Cover Girls, a topless club in OKC and applied to be an "exotic dancer." I was so nervous. I auditioned that day and started that night. I hated the way it made me feel at first. The first night I was too scared to do many "table dances." ( A table dance is where you dance in front of a guy sitting in a chair for one song. I explain because I thought before I started stripping that you literally danced on the table :) ) I still made $75...enough to pay my electric bill and it was enough to bring me back the next night. I drank every night at work and soon grew to love the attention that I got from the men. I seemed to have power over men in this environment...instead of them having power over me. Since I was so insecure...this seemed to be the antidote to my insecurity that I had been looking for. I had soon had plenty of money and attention...still no love....but I was managing better than before. I fooled myself into thinking it was just a job. During the evening at the club I was Mariah (my stage name)...during the day I was Shanna. I noticed that first year that some of the girls were strung out on drugs....I had no intention of becoming addicted to drugs. I had always despised this about my mom. I noticed that some of the girls took their dancing too far...they would let guys touch them...or even do private dances at parties or hotel rooms. I could never cross these lines. I always felt like I was better than they were because of this...I know now I wasn't. I am sure that it was God who kept me from crossing certain lines...that can be the only explanation.

A few months into dancing I got my 3 closest friends from High School to come join me. This turned into a few years of hell...

I will talk tomorrow about drugs being introduced into my life and my cocaine addiction. I am almost to age 21 when I got saved! You all have been so kind to stick this out with me...




11 comments:

Chick4Christ said...

i love you shanna! i cant wait to see you tonight!

btw, your story is additing! i always cant wait to read what comes next! :)

Anonymous said...

If people don't believe in God's redemption power after reading your story, nothing will convince them.

He is so, so good.

Robin Meadows said...

Love you, Shanna! Your story and your life continue to be an example of God's redemptive power at work. Thanks again for sharing both!

Natalie Witcher said...

It's amazing how much the enemy drug you through at such a young age. Again, I'm amazed at our God.

Theresa said...

Your doing great. Thank you for continuing to share your story. I can't wait to hear how God took you out of all of that.

BraggFam said...

I stand in AWE of OUR GOD> WOW HE IS SO WONDERFUL> KEEP IT UP AND THANK YOU

DEEPLY LOVED said...

I didn't know so much of your childhood life. THANK YOU for all the details. I love Jesus more because of your story and I LOVE you!

Anonymous said...

I have always seen your life as a beautiful song of God's redemption and love. But after learning more details of the pain you have lived through, I am even more in awe of His awesome love and restoration in your life. I also have a better understanding of why you love the way you do! Thank you for sharing :)

Bobbi West said...

Sweet Woman, I keep checking for the lastest installment and it has yet to be written! I can't wait to hear about the awesome redemption as this story, your story, His story unfolds! Don't keep us waiting! Rejoice! He is sooo good!

Seth, Annelise, Elijah, & Joshua said...

I love you shanna!

Anonymous said...

I've got to go back and re-read everything (I'm at work so I could only skim), but Shanna... you are such a blessing! Love you!!