Thursday, December 6, 2007

Consistently Inconsistent

I was listening to one of my favorite bands, Starfield, tonight. These lyrics always stick out to me: "I'm so messy and distracted, undisciplined and tactless here on the inside." This describes me! I started thinking of all the things I am inconsistent at...(I am a free spirit)....and I felt as though the Lord whispered for me to focus on what I am consistent at. So I began pondering what things I consistently do on a daily or weekly basis and have kept the pattern for a year or more. I will write out my mental list for you:

Drink water, read to my kids, read my bible, attend a bible study, shepherd a small flock...right now it is Girls Gone Godly, go to OASIS now the FIXX, tell my husband and kids I love them, have someone who is not family live in our home...right now it is Wendy, hug my boys, kiss my husband, laugh, eat cereal, have date nights with my husband, send emails, pray, write in my journal, have worship playing (this happens every single day in our house...I can't function without it...my thoughts wander entirely too much, I need the lyrics to bring my thoughts back to God CONSTANTLY), tickle my youngest son, have morning snuggle bug parties in my bed with my older boys, Family Fun Sundays, pray with my husband and my boys, pray for someone who is hurting, make dinner, read and read some more, go to church, change diapers, get donut holes with my boys on Friday mornings, clean my house on Mondays (only because a group meets here on Monday nights), teach my kids, take pictures of my husband and boys, spend time with or talk to mine and my husband's family, take health supplements, sleep.

There is value in many of the things He gives me the grace to be consistent in. I am learning more and more to give the things I am inconsistent in over to Him and walk in His grace. May my life have value in Him apart from what I do or don't do. May my life have value because I was bought with the price of redemption. May I seek Him daily to see what things to put first. If I am loving my God, my husband, my boys, my friends, my enemies and all those that I come in contact with does it really matter that my dishes aren't done and my laundry is behind?

What things are you consistent in?

7 comments:

Robin Meadows said...

Love it! If you're doing all these things, keep on being consitantly inconsistant! The important, life-changing things matter most---people, relationships!! (I have dirty dishes in my sink right now....)

ArchibaldFive said...

I just LOVE you Shanna! I love the eating cereal made your consistency list! No seriously though thanks for your post I have been having a week and you really helped put some things in perspective by putting this out there. :0)

Tim and Christie said...

Ooooohhh! Grace filled listmaking! I LOVE THAT! Im going to make a list right now! NOT of ways I fail, but of the successes I have in HIM! That's GOOD!

I have returned to some feelings of laundry guilt and house obsession lately...no good. I plan on snuggleing on the couch with a kid or two today!

Unknown said...

I'm right there with Christie! I fall into the "house needs to be in order" rather than "my kiddos need to be snuggled". I'm off to snuggle right now...what am I even doing on here?
The one thing I am consistant with is to not even power up the computer UNTIL I've read my Bible! So, if I'm on here, that has already been done.
Thanks again for being here on this blog....great list!

Stef Swindell said...

I Love you Shanna and your consistencies!!! I too want to make a list to remind me that I do do the important things daily and stop worrying about the others....

Christie Man said...

Thanks for blessing me today as you have soooo many times over the years. Your pure, true, deep love for HIM is so contagious. That is more important than any of your inconsistencies. You are very consistent in the things that matter. One more thing I have known you to be consistent with for the last 12 years at least: giving...you are a giver...you have a giving heart...you give and you give and you give consistently. As Amy A., and Stef said, "I just love you, Shanna."

Anonymous said...

woderful... i just love this idea- i always thought i never followed though with any thing but God keeps showing me with Him i can- like get married, run a marathon, etc. so He keeps me consistent becasue i am like you my mind wanders - so i always am going back to Him and the cross, and His love and my desire for Him. love it and love you!!