Saturday, December 29, 2007

My favorite Christmas memory....

was this Christmas!

We have rental properties in Oklahoma City. We have had some renters for 2 years that Jerome first and now I have developed a heart for. They are Henry & Jodi Wintersmith. They have a 4 year old little girl named Ashley, a 2 year old little girl named Mary and an 8 month old baby named Conner. Conner is very sick. He is on a waiting list for a new liver and has already had several surgeries. He is only 12 pounds and has not gained a single ounce since he was 3 months old.

Henry has not been able to hold down a job because they are in and out of the hospital and doctors' visits for Conner.

They are a quiet and humble couple.

Our boys go with Jerome to collect rent sometimes and play with their girls. We have prayed several times with the boys for Conner. They know that "Daddy talks to their family about Jesus."

My friends, our little homeschool group and another life group at Life Church adopted them for Christmas. We had a "Happy Birthday Jesus Party" and the Wintersmiths came.

Our boys have heard us talk about them lots this holiday season. We let them do extra chores to earn money to put towards their gifts. We talked about how Christmas is really about giving to others in His name.

We had this sweet family over for Christmas dinner. It was so much fun to watch their girls open a few gifts we got them from us personally. It was precious to all eat together like one big family. It just felt perfect.

I would not have thought it could have got any better until Micah (our almost 8 year old) surprised me.

Let me pause and tell you that something Micah consistently asked for for Christmas was CASH to buy one of the XBOX games that he had been wanting for awhile. He got $25 in his stocking at mammaw's. He also got $10 from his Nanna. He talked and talked about this $35. He was so happy he had that much CASH and it was enough to buy the game.

He decided to give daddy $10 of it for Christmas which was very sweet.

Here is where he surprised me. Mary and Ashley had just opened the gifts we got them when Micah came up to Jerome and asked if it was OK if he gave some of his money to the Wintersmith family. Jerome thought Micah would give a few dollars. He walked up to Jodi and gave her $20 of the $25 he had left and told her he wanted her to have it for Christmas.

I could cry just writing this.

I don't write this to brag in any way. I am humbled, so humbled that this precious son of mine gets it. He may fight with his brother. He may not obey consistently. He may not know when to quit pestering...but on this Christmas day he loved in action and in truth. He loved in a way that overshadowed everything else. He loved in a way that ministered to, encouraged and taught Jerome and I. I pray that God gave me a glimpse into Micah's heart. I pray that God fosters and develops this in Micah. I pray that when I look at Micah this is what I see on the chaotic days.

One last thing. My husband is a giver in odd ways. I love to give but he loves to give when it is the most uncomfortable. I am certain that Micah did what was modeled for him by his daddy, his hero. This is just one more reason that I am so in love with that man!

Coming soon...mine and Jerome's thoughts on Balaam and his talking donkey :)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now you had me tearing up! That is wonderful. I, too, have to remember how giving my Noah is even when he can't remember to put his clothes in the laundry hamper for the 900th time.

Amy Newberry said...

Wow...shanna I have to say I am humbled by Micah's love. Just a side note to encourage you. I have always thought that if you really want to know what someone's family life is like...look at thier children. Watch their actions. Scary for me sometimes but always true and Micah is clearly evidence of the love and passion that you and Jerome have for people. How exciting! I can't wait to see what God does with our children. O' how I pray that they are even more desperate and crazy for Him and that they would pour thier lives out only to be filled by our Living and Loving Savior!

deleise said...

Amy is right. What a beautiful example you are for your kids!

Unknown said...

What a wonderful thing to hang on to during the "chaotic days." I smiled when I read that you wrote that *grin*
Thanks for your note the other day! You're a blessing!

Seth, Annelise, Elijah, & Joshua said...

That made me cry....I love it. I can't wait to get to know your boys better.

Christie Man said...

Ok, I cried too. That was so precious! What a sweet family God has created for His Glory. I know your's and Jerome's consistent obedience to His daily call on your lives is a path each of your boys will and are following in as well. What a blessing, Shanna, thank you for sharing that!!!

SheriYates said...

Shanna, that is only a God-sized story - the whole thing! What a precious family you have! Thank you for always being the hands and feet of Christ!

Poet4Him77 said...

What a precious little boy you're raising. Children look by example, obviously you guys are doing something write. :) Aren't kids amazing? They surprise you at every turn. If only adults retained that "like a child" mentality.

HomeSchool Mommy said...

That's awesome! And, even if you WERE bragging, that's okay...it's good to brag about your kids (especially if they catch wind of it.)

Robin Meadows said...

Awesome story. Example is everything!! Obviously, you guys are doing an awesome job. Keep on home educating ; )

Anonymous said...

i love it and you and your adorable family hope you had a wonderful holiday

DEEPLY LOVED said...

I LOVE my Micah!!!!! Ah, you just made my day! I knew, I just knew he was going to be a Jesus freak since the very first time I held him as a little baby. He's got so much heart! Ah, I am so proud I can't stand it! Give him a kiss from me.